Friday, October 1, 2010

The Mini Visarjan- Maushi Ishtyle

Ganpati Bappa Mauriya Purcha varshi laukariya!!!!

Above all the music, the dhol and everything these 6 words are the only ones playing in my mind…
A plethora of unknown faces among a few known ones gather around their beloved Ganpati to give him a proper farewell and wish with all their heart that he comes back quicker than before with more good fortune and luck and money amongst all other things…
I had always heard about Ganpati Visarjan but never really understood the power, the feeling of pride, the energy of it all that passed through every Maharashtrian who did the visarjan.
But today….
Today was the day when I would. Our beloved tapri ki Maushi had lovingly invited every Symbiosis student she could meet to come for the Visarjan…it was a moment of pride for her and she wanted to share it among us! Under normal circumstances the shy person that I am, I would have just said no, but then this experience wasn’t going to be happening day to day, and it was one I did not want to miss…I wanted to experience the madness, the energy, the liveliness of the dance and I am glad I did. I let go of any inhibitions or embarrassment issues and danced for me, me and only MYself!
The unmistakable sound of the dhol pulled me towards the dancing crowd- huge and intimidating yet containing people with the energy seen in teenagers (of old!the ones now are more lethargic than elephants!)- they were going to dance the night away and let the world know about it!!!
There was one thing. Company mattered and in this case I had the company of quite a few seniors while none from my own batch turned up- It did feel awkward at first maybe but then a dance broke through shackles of all kinds and if nothing else it sure helped me break mine- I wasn’t the shy and reticent kinds anymore. Oh no! not today...
Today I wanted to let go of myself to beats of the dhol playing. The feeling of the dhol playing right into my brain, the elation, the sudden feeling of pure unadulterated joy. I was possessed…
…I was happy.
And at the end of the day that’s what matters isn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment